Welcome to the 2023 Queer Jam. A gathering for queer CI community to expand in a container that holds and honors the multitudes of the magic that you are and are becoming. Marie Murry & Lex Grotesque are excited to ground into time and space as co-collaborators. They dance in collaboration in the world through queer healing arts and performance with their passion project, the Grotesque Burlesque.
Unfolding into the union of dance with the invitations to play, to love, and to grieve in tender fierceness, this jam will follow the fluid flow of the present emergence of energy into form. We will also offer Parts work via Drama Therapy & Internal Family Systems character play, Creative writing and storytelling with the body, drama and Dance Therapy group work, and Contemporary Dance for creative expression and emotional healing. Honoring uniqueness and difference with hearts centered in the call towards connection and compassion, we welcome those who feel a longing to commune in creativity together!
***This space is for creating expansive explorative space for queer dancers to support growth and safety for queer community in contact improv. Allies can support by considering attending another jam hosted at Earthdance, sharing this event and/or making a donation to help support and resource queer people to attend this event. LGBTQIA+ is an abbreviation for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, intersex, asexual, and more. These terms are used to describe a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity. If you question if you fit into any of these identities, please take a look at the broader descriptions here.
- An average of 40-60 people will attend this jam and is open to all movement levels & backgrounds.
- We have single day drop-in options for folks who have been to Earthdance before.
- If you have never been to Earthdance, we ask that you only sign up for the full jam. This will allow us to better welcome you and orient you to Earthdance.
Arrival, Onsite Check-In, Opening Circle, Departures and COVID Testing
- Arrival and Onsite Check-In: The welcoming will commence for participants on Thursday, August 31st from 4:00pm-7:00pm. Dinner is at 6-7pm.
- Opening Circle: Friday, September 1st, at 10am.
- Friday and Saturday Drop-In Days (Only for folks who’ve been to Earthdance before): Arrive at 8am, check-in with Olive during lunch, and Departure at 11pm day of.
- Weekend Departure: All participants will depart after the final group clean at 3pm on Sunday, September 3rd.
- COVID Testing: Please make sure that you have tested for COVID on the day of arrival for both Full and Half Jam. If needed, participants may purchase tests from Earthdance for $10 each.
Our Fees Explained
Earthdance offers a sliding scale payment for participation in this event, please take a moment to reflect as you decide on where you best fit.
Your level of contribution is self selected and does not need to be advocated for. However, we invite you to remember this contribution is currency and we ask that you stretch where you are able so that those who cannot stretch as far of a financial distance may also have potential access to community events. As you choose your rate please consider the following factors:
- Your access to income and wealth, as connected to family and partnership, both currently and anticipated in the future.
- The historical, systemic impacts of wealth accrual based on culture, race and other intersection marginalizations for you and your family.
- The regional ease of your attendance, while some community members can drive to Earthdance, others will need to consider tuition based on their ability to travel longer distances.
- Earthdance is a community and rental funded organization which recently, historically and uniquely through the Covid-19 pandemic has struggled to have viable income.
$550 – Financially Wealthy
$475 – Financially Abundant
$400 – Financially Stable
$325 – Financially Coping
$275 – Financially Strained
$525 – Financially Wealthy
$450 – Financially Abundant
$375 – Financially Stable
$300 – Financially Coping
$250 – Financially Strained
$500 – Financially Wealthy
$425 – Financially Abundant
$350 – Financially Stable
$275 – Financially Coping
$225 – Financially Strained
Drop-In Day Options(Only Available for those who’ve been to Earthdance before)
Friday, September 1st OR Saturday, September 2nd
$350 – Financially Wealthy
$250 – Financially Abundant
$175 – Financially Stable
$125 – Financially Coping
$80 – Financially Strained
Equity & Access Tickets
Although we’re not able to offer any full scholarships this year, we’re excited to offer up to 5 Discounted Tickets to individuals who feel part of an underrepresented and/or marginalized group in CI and have a relationship with CI. We know that for those who come from marginalized populations showing up to spaces filled with primarily privileged groups can be a challenge, and can feel vulnerable.
“Apply” and see more details here. Application deadline is August 21st.
For those who do not identify as marginalized and are in a represented group of CI, we invite you to stretch in your payment to help support those who cannot stretch and create a more diverse jam experience for all.
Note: While Earthdance is making efforts to better support Equity & Access at all its events, the Queer Jam offers particularly strong support for diversity, equity, and inclusion through:
- Reduced pricing offered to people self-identifying as being underrepresented and/or marginalized in CI.
- Classes and discussions that aim to bring up the level of awareness and inclusion at the jam as a whole
- Affinity spaces (jams, discussions, etc.) for particular groups of people to connect, share CI space together, and rest from the pressures of being in a minority status at the jam.
Gratitude Lodge at Earthdance Tickets
Includes a bed in the Gratitude Lodge, Queer Jam offerings, and food during the jam.
The Gratitude Lodge (a.k.a. the Earthdance dorm) is the main lodging facility, connected to the Farmhouse by a short wooded trail. The lodge includes large and small rooms featuring dormitory-style bunks and beds (twin & queen size) and is included in the base Jam cost. Beds are available on a first come basis.
Includes a spot to camp at Earthdance, Queer Jam offerings, and food during the jam.
You will have access to the Queer Jam offerings including food for the event.
Commuter Health Care: We ask that you please use caution when commuting and limit, if possible, to just commuting to and from your home and Earthdance, staying away from large crowds to maintain the health and well being of the other Queer Jam participants.
Refund available up to 14 days (August 17th) before the event less a $75 processing fee.
No refunds available less than 14 days from the start of the event.
Partial refunds might be given if a cancellation takes place under extenuating circumstances (e.g. a death of a 1st or 2nd degree family member, serious non-preventable illness or accident requiring hospitalization). Refunds in such cases remain at the discretion of the local organizers and will be decided on a case to case basis according to the timing of the cancellation and other factors.
No specific requirements on vaccination status are needed to attend this event. However, ALL registrants are required to take an antigen test on the day of before arriving on Thursday, August 31st at Earthdance. If you need a test, Earthdance will have them available to purchase for $10 each.
Please take adequate measures to limit your exposure in the days before arriving. If you are feeling sick, or have a known close exposure to someone with COVID in the past 5 days, please sit this one out to keep the community well.
COMMUTERS: We ask that you please use caution when commuting and limit, if possible, to just commuting to and from your home and Earthdance, staying away from large crowds to maintain the health and well being of the other Summer Jam participants.
Participant Community Support
Earthdance runs as a community, thus part of the participation is that all individuals contribute to 1-2 work shifts (typically meal cleans) throughout the event and participate in a final house clean on the last day of the event. These are great ways to connect more with your fellow participants and Earthdance staff, and to feel more at home in the Earthdance buildings & grounds. Your contributions to this collective caring of this space are invaluable!
Earthdance’s buildings are ADA accessible. More info here.
Marie Murry (fae/they/she) is a song weaver, dream druid, death doula, shapeshifter & cosmic clown creature of the northeastern forest. They love creating community ritual, mapping the mythic, and embodying the bard! Both a contact dancer & vocal improvisor, the union of movement and sound is at the core of her practice of somatic instrumentation. Passion projects include The Grotesque Burlesque, Touch & Play, and Tender Spot. Marie Murry is so delighted to play and pray with you all!
35 years old, Mother, Teacher, Artist, Activist, Anarchist, Visionary, Manifesting Generator, Theater Company Director, Choreographer, Coordinator, Co-creator, Integrative Healing Arts Facilitator