Residential Lead Cook
Earthdance is looking for a Lead Cook for on site events. We are a non-profit arts organization and retreat center hosting workshops, artist residencies and community programming in the hills of Western Massachusetts on almost 100 acres of beautiful forest in the town of Plainfield.
For decades our center has focused on a dynamic mix of dance, somatic, and interdisciplinary arts training. Earthdance is not your “average” non-profit organization, it is home away from home for many dancers and creatives. It’s a place that cultivates creative expression, values personal development, and has a commitment to cultural change and reflection. If this sounds interesting to you, we are interested in having you join us!
We have our own vendors for food ordering, a well equipped commercial kitchen, and large walk-in refrigerator. We provide mainly vegan and vegetarian meals and use local and organic products where possible.
The Lead Cook is responsible for the following:
• Coordinating with the Operations Director for guidance, logistics and critical event information.
• Drafting a food budget and approving it with Operations Director
• Event Menu planning and ability to receive feedback
• Pre-event food ordering with Earthdance vendors
• Provide tasty vegetarian meals in a timely manner, appropriate amounts based on predicted number of guests and reasonable variety
• Coordinating the kitchen workers in a respectful and inclusive manner
• Provide GF, DF and vegan meal options and accommodate other special food needs as much as possible when requested
• Oversee kitchen clean-up
• Make sure all food is labeled and stored following food safety and health guidelines
Requirement for the Job are:
• ServSafe certification – manager level preferred
• Thorough knowledge of food allergies and sensitivities
• Knowledgeable in DEI to create an equitable and accessible kitchen for all
In exchange for a predetermined number of work hours (rough estimate is 25 hours per week but TBD), Earthdance would provide you with basic Room & Board.
Any hours over this predetermined weekly amount would then be paid an hourly wage as an independent contractor (Hourly rate TBD but in the range of $17-18/hr)
The events we host are varied in length (typically 3-6 days) and there is no consistent schedule each month so pay would fluctuate throughout the year.
We would require a commitment to prioritizing the Earthdance schedule to be available to cook for our events. This requires the candidate to be flexible in accommodating our calendar. If the predetermined cooking hours are not met per month, other work will need to be substituted for the exchange.
This role would enjoy access to Earthdances’ dance studios and other installations. They would also be invited to participate in workshops free of charge where their schedule and the activity allow for this.
The candidate should enjoy preparing food for groups and working with others. They should be highly organized, comfortable with delegation and oversight, have a sense of humor (to navigate the inevitable stressors), have self awareness, a degree of emotional maturity, strong communication skills, have self-care practices and a propensity toward cleanliness. They should have previous experience with vegetarian cuisine, food allergens, cross contamination, and cooking for large groups.
At Earthdance we strongly value diversity, equity, and inclusion and supporting a space for individuals to lean into these so everyone can feel seen, valued, and respected.
Sensitivity and DEI training may be a part of your work experience and requirements.
If interested, please send cover letter and reume to Work@Earthdance.net