Earthdance Creative Living Project, Plainfield, MA
Still accepting applications. Apply today!
Position start date: Upon hire
Earthdance is a residency and retreat center run by resident and off site staff and volunteers, and located in the Berkshire hills of Western Massachusetts. We provide a dynamic mix of dance, somatic, and interdisciplinary arts training, with a focus on sustainable living and equitable community. Earthdance has been spearheading innovative arts programming and maintaining a beautiful facility for rental groups in the Pioneer Valley for over three decades. www.earthdance.net
Inspired by a commitment to equity and sustainability, we are especially interested in candidates who are interested in and committed to intersectional social justice work.
The Operations Director is a Core Staff position, responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating daily operations of Earthdance, collaborating with staff in the areas of kitchen, buildings and grounds, office, and human and material resources. The Operations Director coordinates the volunteer work schedules, and works with staff and residents to facilitate smooth functioning and communication. The Operations Director is an important on-site presence, responding to needs and issues as they arise.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- Facilitates the coordination of daily operations of Earthdance among the core staff.
- Communicates directly with rental organizers, acting as primary logistical liaison between Earthdance and rental clients, and event host during rental programs.
- Directs and supervises volunteers engaged in Earthdance operations.
- Coordinates maintenance of facilities, code compliance, and safety certifications with the Buildings and Grounds and Kitchen Manager.
- Keep the Executive Director abreast of any issues in a weekly meeting.
Areas of responsibility may include:
- Prompts planning and preparation of work schedules and assignment of volunteers to specific duties.
- Maintains meeting schedules and agendas.
- Identifies volunteer projects and steers collaborative prioritization.
- Attends to budgets and reviews financials of facility maintenance and rentals, with particular oversight of the household expenses including all utilities in coordination with the Financial Manager and Executive Director.
- Manages logistics and lodging coordination with all rental group organizers.
- Responsible for organizing weekly All Staff meetings, House Cleans, and Volunteer meetings.
- Attends weekly Core Staff meetings, Operations Meetings, and House Cleans
- Occasionally leads meal cleans and assists meal preps for rental groups and Earthdance programs.
- Meets regularly with Buildings & Grounds Manager, Kitchen Manager, and Office Manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or comparable experience
- Basic skills in buildings and grounds maintenance
- Strong team leadership skills in a live/work environment
- Ability to work for condensed periods of time under pressure, with high volumes of people
- Ability to manage personal work schedule depending on requirements/responsibilities as needed
- Professional demeanor and work ethic
- Strong administrative capacity; strong email and telephone response-time and etiquette
- Ability to develop schedules and budgets using Microsoft Excel
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, able to self-direct and take direction
- Ability to maintain positivity and composure under pressure
- Ability to handle changes in work priorities with ease
- Ability to interface with others using tact and diplomacy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Experience hosting and coordinating program logistics and operations
- Experience supervising and leading teams
- ServeSafe Certified (may obtain during training period)
- Strong interest in, and previous experience with, cooperative living, community building, and intersectional social justice
- Background in customer service and hospitality
We are considering candidates at 32 hours/week year-round, depending upon circumstances. Work often requires availability on weekends. This position is offered as a residential Core Staff position with on-site Room & Board offered with deduction. Local residents will be considered for an off-site position. (The pay scale will vary depending on off site or on site living.) Benefits include paid vacation time, complimentary workshops and contact improvisation jams, access to Earthdance studio spaces, guest privileges, and community development opportunities.
Earthdance prefers a two-year minimum commitment; however, this is at-will employment. Position start date is upon hire.
Women, People of the Global Majority, LGBTQIA, and/or those differently abled are encouraged to apply.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and two professional references to email@example.com.