How we can help support to keep the proposed pipeline out of our community? Former volunteer of Earthdance, Sarah Konner brings us information regarding the proposed pipeline that will affect the Hilltowns of Western Massachusetts, including Earthdance ...
Dear Beloved Earthdance Community,
We are writing to you to request some support in the effort to keep the proposed pipeline out of the Western Massachusetts Hilltowns. This is a concern for our clean water, clean air, noise pollution, light pollution, toxins in our nearby farmlands, and the health of our children for generations to come. If you don't already know about the issues pertaining to fracked gas and the proposed pipeline, you can learn all about it at NoFrackedGasinMass.org. New York recently won the fight to ban fracking and Massachusetts can do the same!
Here are some easy action steps to make our voices heard.
1) Sign the Petition to Ban New Gas Pipelines and Champion Sustainable Energy. Over 12,600 have already signed – still gathering to present to the new administration in January! Sign online
— Businesses! Sign the Pledge to Oppose the Pipeline. Please join to have your business listed as part of the opposition to the proposed Kinder Morgan TGP Northeast Energy Direct pipeline project. We will list your business at MassPLAN.org and elsewhere in our campaign.
» Print out and mail in, or
— Farmers, and customers of local farms! Declare your Opposition to the Pipeline. The Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline hits agricultural areas especially hard. Stand up to preserve local food and a way of life» Print out and send in your Declaration
2) Ask Governor Charlie Baker to publicly oppose the Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline proposal by Kinder Morgan, to deny them access to state land for survey, and to keep the currently stalled tariff to pay for pipelines off the table.
Ask him to join our Congresspeople Warren, Markey and McGovern, as well as more than half a dozen State Legislators so far who have taken a public stand against this pipeline. email@example.com
Here is a simple form email to make it easy. Or write your own!
Dear Governor Charlie Baker, I strongly urge you to publicly oppose the Northeast Energy Direct Pipeline proposal by Kinder Morgan. Deny them access to state land for survey, and to keep the currently stalled tariff to pay for pipelines off the table. Join our Congresspeople Warren, Markey and McGovern, as well as more than half a dozen State Legislators so far who have taken a public stand against this pipeline. Think of our children's clean water. Think of the future of the Hilltowns of Massachusetts. Allowing this pipeline and the fracking industry into our state an ignorant choice clearly based in fear and selfishness. Do not bring this into our homes and land.
3) Ask your state legislators to:
1. Oppose the release of Article 97 land from its protection. To release protected land from that state protection requires a 2/3 majority of both houses of state government. Usually the request comes from the Senator and Representative from where the land is located. Please ask your Senator and Representative to oppose the release of any Article 97 land for building this pipeline.
2. Oppose any tariffs to support fossil fuel development that may come along. The previous bill that would have backed a tariff on all ratepayers to help fund the pipelines didn’t pass this summer, but other similar efforts may arise later. Kinder Morgan representatives stated that, although they don’t need a tariff to fund their pipeline, they would take full advantage of one if the issue came up again.
3. Hold a hearing on New England States Committee On Electricity’s (NESCOE) mode of operations and the lack of public accountability. Call for an investigation of NESCOE – A Conservation Law Foundation briefing paper (http://www.clf.org/blog/clean-energy-climate-change/governors-infrastructure-plan/) shows that NESCOE operates pretty much behind closed doors with undue influence by the gas and utility companies. The organization acts like a quasi-governmental organization, speaking for the governments of the 6 New England states. The Governor should call for an investigation of NESCOE, while demanding NESCOE:
- respond in full to the current Freedom of Information Act Request,
- create a public process for determining the future of our electric
Roll Back the Massive Rate Hike On Massachusetts Electric Bills!
Tell the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities to roll back the rate increase. The long-term solution for preventing volatile price spikes and halting climate change is investment in renewable energy. It is time to democratize energy policy in the Commonwealth, making it clean, green and fair.
5) DONATE to No Fracked Gas in Mass help keep our efforts moving and expanding!